whaitif.gif

Monday, October 01, 2007

what is the place for consumerism

what is the place for money in art and if you have the chance to make it with or without it would one be better then the other

now don't get me wrong i really like david lynch and blondie always makes me want to dance

but a commercial for gucci i am just not so into it i feel that in some way money taints art but it has for its history been its servant and in some ways its lover

what are we to do about this and should it change

2 comments:

erin said...

This is one of the scariest and most fascinating things I have ever seen.

To answer your question, well, I guess I should just reference that FriendsWithYou lecture, and how, as artists, in order to make money doing what we really need to do, we need to do things for other people. David Lynch and FriendsWithYou both have had the luxury, in this case, do things in their own style, and the consumer and the artist are kind of in a little marriage--both are reflected. The consumer's relying on the artist's special way of seeing in order to sell a product, which I think is probably the MOST fascinating part of it. They don't get it- but there's something there. Yowza. Baziiing.

Dylan C. Lathrop said...

gucci needed to up it's weird factor. sure, it would have been better with an aborted fetus, but what wouldn't be!?

you got something against my choice of a campy record crank? I DON'T KNOW BIKES GET OFF MY DICK JEEZE!

I love you.